Same sock, repair completed, heel and gusset finished, and starting to work down the foot towards the toe. This part goes quickly, so it won't be long now until I have a new pair of socks.
I made this pretty much as directed, only changing the colors (although actually rather close to the overall color scheme), to learn the technique. It was fun, and may spark other ideas in the future. Video here. It's made of two triangles sewn together at the edges, and the way they interlock and twist is very satisfying.
Can you identify this fairly shapeless blob of large-gauge knitting (4 strands held together, 3 sts/in)? It's going pretty quickly - started Tuesday, probably will be finished in another couple of days. Hint - I haven't been able to ask the recipient if she likes it...
So, if you knit socks (which I do) and wear them for a long time (which I do) and patch them (which I do) and patch them again(which I do) you may eventually find yourself with a pair that looks something like this: This is beyond patching. So, I came up with a new plan. First, I did have to patch the big hole in the heel, in my usual way, which is to pick up stitches and knit over the hole, using a yarn needle to attach it to the piece at the end of each row. Then, David traced my foot onto a piece of cardboard, and I used that to cut two foot shapes out of wool felt, acquired at our wonderful local craft store. Didn't matter that the heel of one came out a little narrow - I think the cardboard slipped and the scissors weren't very sharp. But, I sewed them on with a simple whipstitch, using black sock yarn (I think that sewing thread would have eventually cut through): and it worked beautifully! These should have a good second life as slippers. And I will remember that may...
Comments
Post a Comment